Shield Protection FAQ’s
The Terms and Conditions sections of your contract can be used to answer most questions. If you do not have a copy, your selling dealer can provide one. Here are the most common questions:
How do I file a Shield claim?
You must submit a Shield claim form to Kornerstone (see Filing a Claim on this website).
Does my claim need to be pre-authorized?
Tire repairs do NOT require pre-authorization. Simply fill out the Customer Information and submit it with receipts for reimbursement.
Tire replacements and all other claim types DO require pre-authorization, except in the case of an “Emergency” repair as defined in your contract.
Where should I take my vehicle for repairs?
With the exception of tire claims, unless the repair is being completed by your selling dealer, Kornerstone will typically refer you to a specific service provider or dispatch a mobile provider. Depending on your location, most providers will accept payment directly from Kornerstone. A few will have you pay up front and submit your own reimbursement claim.
Do I need to submit pictures for my claim?
Pictures are required for Paint claims. Pictures may also be requested to expedite and verify other claim types.
What is covered by my Shield contract?
Please see your contract terms and conditions for the complete list of coverages and exclusions. Here are the general coverages for each type of contract:
- Appearance Shield Interior – This plan protects your interior fabric, leather, carpets, and vinyl against damage from food, drinks, and many other materials. It also covers rips/tears under 6″ and punctures under 1″. It does NOT cover neglect, abuse, normal wear, embossed/textured materials, or damage due to corrosive substances like acid or bleach (see contract for full list of coverages and exclusions).
- Appearance Shield Exterior – This plan protects your exterior paint, headlight lenses, and black molding from environmental threats like bird waste, tree sap, insects, hard water, UV damage, and many other environmental issues. It does NOT cover neglect, abuse, non-environmental damage, road hazards, accident damage, or caustic substances (see contract for full list of coverages and exclusions).
- Clear Shield – This plan protects your windshield against chips and cracks caused by flying road debris. It will provide repairs or replacements depending on the size and location of the damage. It does NOT cover other types of damage like vandalism, collision, off-road damage, or hail (see contract for full list of coverages and exclusions).
- Tire and Wheel Shield – This plan protects you against expenses from road hazard damage to tires, wheels (rims), and tire pressure sensors. It does NOT cover aftermarket wheels (rims), non-road hazard damages such as collision, vandalism, or flood, and it does not cover consequential damage to other areas of the vehicle (see contract for full list of coverages and exclusions).
- Enhanced Shield – This plan protects you against expenses from cosmetic alloy wheel (rim) damage, dents, and lost keys/remotes. It does NOT cover aftermarket alloy wheels (rims), wheel (rim) replacements, dents larger than 4″, unrepairable damage or dents, or keys/remotes that were not included at the time of sale (see contract for full list of coverages and exclusions).